Octane Adjuster & Electronic Ignition in VAZ 2106

Support Community rules
Please just write a new topic. LADA World will then create a new Category for the topic.
LADA World
Site Admin

Octane Adjuster & Electronic Ignition in VAZ 2106

Unread post by LADA World » Dec 13th, '19, 09:47

Received on e-mail from Andrej
I thinking about upgrading my ignition system in my Vaz 2106, 1981 model.
I just wish to know if the electronic ignition system and the octane adjuster you sell, will be a god match for my car? And do I need new plugs? And finally, will it still be possible to start the car if the battery is flat?(running start in gear or the start handle)
I attached a picture (LADA World: Changed to Links !)
Electronic Ignition
Octane Adjuster

Thank you in advance!!
Having a LADA is not about driving from A to B.

LADA World
Site Admin

Re: Octane Adjuster & Electronic Ignition in VAZ 2106

Unread post by LADA World » Dec 13th, '19, 10:35

Hi Andrej,
First of all, the parts you have found will fit in your VAZ 2106 :)

The electronic ignition system
Is always a good upgrade to:
• Keep the ignition timing precise
• Make use of a more powerful ignition coil (to get a stronger spark)
A stronger spark is important if you have a tuned engine with high compression ratio.

The Octane adjuster
Is good if you have the following issues:
• Driving in countries where the gasoline quality is varying (Quality is most often seen in low/high octane levels)
• Live in a country where the temperature drops so much, making it hard to start the cold engine.
If your car has a tuned engine with high compression ratio: The octane adjuster is even more important/helpful.
If you plan to drive a Rally Raid through Africa or any other countries with poor/unknown gasoline, the Octane Adjuster could save you from engine brake-down.
Also, if you use an Octane-booster (used with engines having a very high compression ratio), it will be easy to adjust the ignition to take advantage of the extra performance from the octane booster. (And adjust back when the race is over - using normal gasoline) :xxx:

When the temperature drops, we all know it can be hard to make the engine start. All old vintage cars that is only started by the start handle (no starter motor) had an ignition adjuster (= Octane Adjuster) – to make starting easier. After the engine were started the ignition were adjusted back, and when the engine got hot, the ignition could be adjusted again. You can use the Octane Adjuster for just that. :P I would call it an extra bonus, since that was not the purpose for this device

New spark plugs
No, you don’t need new plugs, however, it would be possible to make the gap larger. Up to 0,7 mm (because of the more powerful ignition coil).

Start the car when battery is flat
Yes, it would still be possible to start the engine by Pushing, Hand-cranking or jump-start (electrical power assistance).
None of the 2 systems requires much power to operate.
When a battery is totally dead (0 volts) it will always be hard/impossible to use the hand-cranking, since the alternator will hardly make any power at very low RPM – Use the 2 other options instead.
Tip: Adjust the Octane Adjuster for a late (retarded) ignition (As if it were freezing cold), and the engine starts at once.

8-) General tip for all old LADA's: If your country have gasoline in good quality (Octane > 95), you can advance the timing on your LADA, since the workshop manuals timing adjustment setting is for gasoline from year 1980, where the Octane were around 85-90.
I have a customer who advanced (early ignition) the timing and got a remarkable better acceleration and mileage (compared to following the timing instructions in the workshop manual) – Just be careful, there must be no engine-knocking.

Nerds can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing

Andrej

Unread post by Andrej » Dec 15th, '19, 11:41

Thank you for really fast, and good answer!
I’m gone order this soon then.
I just bought the car, an original Lada 2106, 1981 year, with only 31.500km on the clock(!).

It has a little bit misfiring on idle, and I noticed that the distributor have some wear and oxidation.
So I thought that this would be good upgrade for the car!

I live in Norway, and the octane ratings are 95, 98. And on some Petrol station’s even 100.
So I’m thinking to make use of that. 🏎

Irritating problem in Norway is that the petrol is pricey, actually 1l of petrol costs the same as 1l of milk 🙈 (ca 1,77€)

If understanding this correctly that octane adjuster retarding the ignition. So I should advance the ignition, to e.g. 10 degrees btdc, and then retard it with this unit if needed? Maybe I need to go to a dyno to adjust it properly?

Which coil to you recommend for my car? “Standard” one in the kit, of the sport coil?

One last question, what do you think is “normal” fuel consumption for this car? First tank I measured I got 14.5l/100km, on mixed driving.

Sorry for all the questions 🙈
Thank you so much, in advance! 😊

LADA World
Site Admin

Unread post by LADA World » Dec 29th, '19, 13:00

Hi Andrej,
Thanks for your order :ho-ho:

Yes you are 100% right in this:
If understanding this correctly that octane adjuster retarding the ignition. So I should advance the ignition, to e.g. 10 degrees btdc, and then retard it with this unit if needed?
The manual tells to adjust the ignition to an early ignition = "Advance", and use the unit to back it off = "Retard", so there are no engine knocking.
To detect engine knocking, use Biltema.no and search for stetoskop.
However, engine knocking comes at low engine speed (low RPM) and high load (full throttle in 5'th gear). Easy done on a Dyno, harder to do, when you do it while driving.

I would recommend the standard 2108-coil that is included in the kit you have ordered. If you need "More", then go for better ignition spark plug wires.
I have no idea of what the fuel consumption should be. But 14,5 L/100 km is extremely low. = 6,9 km/L Something is wrong :law2:
Perhaps you meant 14,5 km/L !!! That is more what I would expect.